Italy’s wonderful sights are reason enough to get married!

Unfortunately, the paperwork is far less exciting. But, with this easy 3-step strategy, it’s the Italian wedding bureaucracy will be easier to read for you.

STEP #1: Meet the office in ADVANCE

There are no residency requirements in order to marry in Italy. However, depending on your nationality and the city of your marriage, you may need to be in Italy at least 20 days before.

The competent office to register your wedding is the Office of “Stato Civile”. You can easily find it in every town hall in Italy (Comune).

If you prefer to have a Catholic wedding, you can contact the local Parish (Parrocchia). The religious wedding is also valid for the municipality (so-called “matrimonio concordatario”).

No other religious wedding is automatically valid also for the official authorities (municipality). So if you plan a wedding according to religions other than the Catholic one, remember to check into the local municipality, too.

PRACTICAL TIP: It’s best if you can drop by at the office in Italy once at least between 3 and 6 months before the wedding. You can prepare the paperwork then and show up later on the day of the wedding!

STEP #2: Bring the RIGHT documents

1. Valid passports,

2. a Certificate of No Impediment to the marriage (called “Nulla-Osta al matrimonio”).

What is the Certificate of No Impediment?

It is a document in which the Consul of your country of origin states that there are no impediments to the marriage.

It also includes the following data:

first name,
last name,
date and place of birth,
marital status,
your parents’ full names
For some nationalities, it is necessary to validate the Consul’s signature at the local Prefettura.

This validation (legalization) is not requested for the following countries:

Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, UK (including the Isle of Man), Greece, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Norway, Holland (including the Netherlands, Antilles and Aruba), Portugal, the Czech Republic, the San Marino Republic, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, and Hungary.

If your Consulate in Italy doesn’t give you a Certificate of No Impediment, you can provide a similar statement by the competent authority in your country of origin, validated by the local Italian Embassy or Consulate.


Your full name must be written in the same manner in all the documents.

Make sure that your passport and Certificate of No impediment contains your maiden name, otherwise, your paperwork will be refused by the wedding officials.

Do you live in Italy?

The wedding officials will also require a certificate of unmarried status issued by your municipality of residence (Certificato di stato libero)

If you live in Italy or plan to live there after the wedding, you are required to provide the birth record of each spouse, validated by the Italian Embassy in the country of origin.

Moreover, the law requires Italian citizens to make a process of public notice of your wedding (“Pubblicazioni di matrimonio”). That is mandatory only if they marry in Italy.

The municipality official puts up a notice on the town hall board of marriages and public announcements for at least 8 days, including 2 Sundays.

Are you marrying an ITALIAN CITIZEN?

Recently divorced?

Women who divorced less than 300 days before the new wedding date, must provide a medical certificate of non-pregnancy should be provided to the local court. Since that may take a lengthy process, you may want to set the wedding date AFTER the 300-day period.


STEP #3: Make sure your marriage is VALID in your country of origin

If a wedding is celebrated according to Italian regulations, it will also be valid in your native country, usually.

But remember: your country of origin receives no information about your wedding unless YOU tell them. So remember to tell the authorities of your national country that you have married in Italy.

Just hand in the marriage certificate you receive from the Italian municipality to the competent authority in your country (Population Registrar).

If you live in Italy, you may do so by contacting the Consulate of your country of origin in Italy.

How does this information work for you?

Leave your comment below and let me know if you have other questions.

Any special request for your case?Send me a message

Stay in touch!

Receive updates about Italian citizenship and freedom of movement rights in Europe by signing up here.

More around this subject:

Free your family from bureaucracy in 5 steps! Italian visa for family members

4 Smart Steps for a Stress-Free Start in Italy

Italian citizenship by marriage. How to cut the waiting time?